Free discussion forum

Group creation for the projects

Group creation for the projects

di Leonardo Badia -
Numero di risposte: 1

Hi all,

we created this forum with the explicit purpose of helping you establishing groups for the projects.

Some ground rules:

- Chiara proposed 6 projects. You are not bound by them, as you can provide your idea as a 7th, 8th project and so on. But you must find data for that yourself.

- groups are allowed to do the same project (we believe that you will be smart enough to identify a different take on the topic). So if one project attracts considerable interest, please consider splitting groups instead of doing one big megagroup with everybody in

- it is welcome if groups have interdisciplinary membership, that is, it is encouraged that groups involve participants of different degrees, this would help you to combine different competences

Good practice to use this forum then:

1) open a topic, possibly with the project name in it: like "Project #1: study of MERS"

2) write something like "We are a party of two, John Smith and Mary Anderson" or "I am alone but interested in this topic" [ok, this sounds like a dating announcement, but it's not]

3) outline what skills you can put to use in the project. E.g.: Good analytical skills / knows how to model / fit parameters / Python / Matlab / Machine learning / Complex networks / Brings cake to the group discussions and so on.

4) if you plan to open a 7th project, you are of course allowed and even welcome to do so, but please provide a link to the data you plan to use

5) if you want to make the project richer, you can also outline possible theoretical developments that go beyond the case study. Examples:

- I am also considering that machine learning might be used to evaluate the parameters, or the development of the disease

- I want to explore two strains of the disease, also related to geographic parameters (as opposed to two strains simply unrelated to geography, to see if geography matters)

and so on

Today's lecture slides are also up. Enjoy!

Leonardo and Chiara