Annunci

Final list of exam projects

Final list of exam projects

di Antonio Trovato -
Numero di risposte: 0

Dear Students,

below you will find the final list of exam projects. It includes only the projects from the previous preliminary list that are still available (i.e. non yet selected by anybody).  I keep referring to papers by last author's name. I already uploaded them on Moodle adding more subfolders in the exam_project folder. Except for one computational project (under 19), all the new projects are related to scientific papers.

Concerning the exam, you can choose the syle of the presentation at will. Slides, blackboard (or pen on paper), or any combination of the two. Just choose what you prefer.

Kind regards

Antonio Trovato

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AVAILABLE) PROJECT LIST

BOOK SECTIONS

Livi-Politi book

4) Thermoelectric effects (quick recap of Seebeck, Peltier + Thomson Joule) + thermo-magnetic and galvano-metric effects (2.8.2)

7) Edwards-Wilkinson equation (5.6)

COMPUTATIONAL PROJECTS

12) Domany-Kinzel model (d=1+1), evaluation of rho(t,p) -> quenched average (q fixed), omogeneous initial conditions: find p_c and critical exponent using phenomenological scaling -> fig. 20 Hinrichsen 2001

13) Contact processes (1+1) DP vs. DyP (p2 = 0; p2>0):  find transition point and critical exponents for Dyp

14) Parity conserving model (1+1): PC vs DP; find transition point and critical exponents

15) More inactive states: DP2 vs. DP: find transition point and critical exponents

17) TASEP model with open boundary conditions: (random or zero initial conditions) find asymptotic stationary density profiles in the different phases

18) BRIDGE model: (random or zero initial conditions) find asymptotic stationary density profiles in the different phases

19) Comparison of Metropolis vs. Wang-Landau: ising 2d (a); spin glass 2d (b); Wang-Landau in combination with Jarzysnki equality (c)
[I uploaded in the Wang-Landau subfolder the two original papers by Wang & Landau (2001), with some details on how to use the methods for Ising or spin glass models; I also uploaded a short paper by Sastry where they combine WL with the use of JE, for Ising model]

SCIENTIFIC PAPERS

20) Review SOC: Chakrabarti

21) Review Bak-Sneppen model: Pang

22) Review percolation: Sabari

23) Review heteropolymers: Tanaka

24) Review Maximum entropy methods to study protein sequences: Weigt

25) Review KPZ: Corwin

26) Review of Reaction-Diffusion models: Voit, Frey, Galic, Luthey-Schulten

27) Non equilibrium statistical physics: Attard, Van den Broek

28) Random k-sat: this is a probem defined in chapter 3 of Mezard-Montanary that can be tackled using replicas; two different projects:

a) Zecchina 1998: evaluation of quenched free energy within replica-symmetric ansatz (in a way similar to what I explained for REM); the paper is self-contained
   b) Zecchina 2006: solution of random k-sat using the "cavity approach" in the context of 1-step replica symmetry breaking; it is an example of the "belief propagation"' methods in graphs; the paper is to a large extent self-contained, I would only suggest using also the I,II sections from the Zecchina 1998 paper in order to have a broader introduction on the random k-sat problem. Both the cavity approach and belief propagation are extensively treated in the Mezard-Montanari book 

29) Generalized ensemble simulation methods:

a) Parrinello review on metadynamics
   b) Okamoto review on Replica Exchange, Simulated Tempering, Multicanonical ensemble and further sofistications (in this context replica does NOT refer to replica trick)
   c) Hansmonn 2007 and Troyer 2004 papers (this is one project); a general method to speed up "flat histogram" methods estimating the local diffusivity in energy space

30) Information thermodynamics; I found this very recent book (2019) where concepts from information theory and stochastic thermodynamics (including fluctuation theorems) are put together to discuss topics such as the Landauer principle and the experimental realization of Maxwell demon.

a) chapter 1 (Lent): a broad introduction to the connection between information theory and thermodynamics, focusing on entropy and the Landauer principle, also for quantum systems
   b) chapter 3,4 (Sagawa and Porod); second law, entropy production and reversibility in "computation thermodynamics"
   c) chapter  5 (Ciliberto and Lutz): experimental information physics: from Maxwell to Landauer

31) Fluctuation theorems

a) section 3.3.2 and all section 4 from Ritort review: FT for NESS with a specific example for a gaussian trapping potential (the solution of FP equation with a quadratic potential is obtained in Livi-Politi 1.6.3 -elastic force, Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process -; section 4.1.1. in RItort review is the same as 1.6.5 in Livi-Politi);  section 4.2.3 is particularly relevant (efficient strategies to extract free energy measurements from non-equlibrium experiments)
   b) all section 5 from Ritort review: use of FT and JE to construct a generalized thermodynamics in path space; large deviations are briefly introduced and used
   c) Jarzynski 2011; how to use FT and JE to improve the effectiveness of Monte Carlo simulations

32) Quantum fluctuations theorems

a) Wojcik 2004: classical and quantum FT derived in the case of heat exchange between to objects kept at different temperatures
   b) Morillo 2008: Microcanonical quantum FT
   c) Sagawa 2018: general review on quantum FT